History Of The "Old High School" 1828-1840
by Charles Wells Chapin

Boston], with James D. Brewer, Joseph C. Pynchon, John B. Stebbins, and others still residing in Springfield. Ephraim W. Bond of this city presided at the tables, and after the repast pertinently and eloquently opened an agreeable round of speeches, to whose interest memory gave many an interesting incident of old times, and the well-springs of local and personal affection many a pleasing and touching tribute. William B. Calhoun, as one of the fathers of the school, and the brother of its most renowned teacher, was present among the invited guests, and spoke with earnestness and interest to several practical points in the past and future of the educational history of Springfield. Mr. Parish, as principal of the present High School, and more as 29 years ago at the age of 18 teacher in the old district school house back of the Masonic Hall, and there the instructor and graduator of the first class that entered the old High School, was called up, and entertained his old and new friends with pleasant reminiscences and suggestions. There followed a pretty general relation of "experience" in the "old brick school," and the sitting was prolonged with pleasure to all to a late hour. L. V. H. Crosby, the celebrated vocalist, who was one of the old boys, was of the party, and entertained the company with a taste of his quality in the musical line. Altogether, it was a rare occasion for those who were of it, and full of pleasure to the mere spectators. Good must grow out of this meeting — good to those who have thus met — good we hope to the literary character and educational fame of Springfield.

Member of the school committee three years. In 1852 was treasurer of the old Hampden Fire Insurance Co., and its president until the close of its affairs, made necessary by the heavy losses incurred by the fire in Portland, Me., in 1866. Was treasurer of the Five Cents Savings Bank in 1856, and its president until his death. He was senior member of the firm of Pynchon & Stickney, insurance agents. He died April 9, 1889, aged 74.

        BRADFORD K. PIERCE, Newton, Mass. — Graduated at the Wesleyan University in 1841; entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was stationed at Waltham, Mass., in 1843, Newburyport, Mass., in 1844-45, and in Charlestown, Mass., 1847. Agent of the American Sunday School Union from 1845 to 1856. A member of the Massachusetts Senate in 1856. He was successful in establishing the State Industrial School at Lancaster in 1856, was the superintendent and chaplain until 1862. From 1863 until 1872 he served as chaplain of the House of Refuge on Randall's Island, N. Y. He was the editor of Zion's Herald from 1872 to 1888, and trustee of Wellesley College from 1876 to 1889. He died April 19, 1889, aged 77 years.

        CALEB HOPKINS. — Learned the joiner's trade. He built, the first house in Plainfield (now Brightwood) for Lucius M. Carew. In 1835 he went to Manchester, Conn. In 1837 he removed to Ellington, Conn., where he now resides. Was a builder and contractor for a number of years. In 1858 he was elected probate judge, and re-elected for twelve consecutive years. In 1875, upon the opening of the Connecticut Central Railroad, was station agent for five years.

        CHARLES EMERY. — Born in Springfield, Mass., in 1816, and attended the old High School on School street, from its opening, in 1828, until 1831, when he left to follow the sea, after the example of his father and Grandfather. His first voyage was made as a boy on the ship "Eclipse," from Salem to Manilla and Canton. He sailed on his 15th

page 32

© Laurel O'Donnell 1998 - 2005, all rights reserved
This document may be downloaded for personal non-commerical use only
and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.