Russell — Schools
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The first reference made in the existing town records to educational matters occurs under date of 1804, when $130 were raised for the support of schools. In 1805 the appropriation for schooling was reduced to $100, and at this time there were two school-houses in the town,—one at the centre, near Robert Hazard's house, and one on the mountain, in the southern section. The records do not mention the first school-teacher, but, in 1807, Miss Lindsey taught, and a Miss Sherman taught in 1808. The Miss Lindsey mentioned became Mrs. Dickinson shortly after 1807, who is still living in Russell village.
In 1810 what is known as the South River school district was divided into two districts, and it was agreed that one-half the money assessed should be schooled out to the east side, with the privilege given to the west-side people to send their children to school there as long as the assessed money held out.
There were, in 1878, five school districts in the town, with the same number of schools. The average attendance at all the schools was 85, and the amount expended for their support in 1877 was $868.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
29 Jul 2005