Montgomery — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Montgomery was incorporated as a town Nov. 28, 1780, and was named in honor of General Richard Montgomery, who fell at Quebec in 1775.
The tract thus incorporated was originally a portion of that part of the town of Westfield known as "The New Addition," which was valued as a place abounding in excellent building-stone, and for that reason alone was sought by the inhabitants of Westfield as an addition to the original grant, The act of incorporation was passed by the General Court in response to a petition urged by the settlers in that part of Westfield, who deemed themselves inconveniently situated.
In 1792 small portions of the towns of Norwich and Southampton, now in Hampshire County, were added, and as thus made up the town has remained to this day.
The first town-meeting for the election of officers was held at the house of Zadock Bosworth, Dec. 14, 1780.